- 3/4 cups popping corn (unpopped)
- 2 cups salted peanuts
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1. You’ll need a roasting pan to stir this in. Start by popping the corn. Place it in the roasting pan, checking to make sure that none of the un-popped kernels are included. Add salted peanuts to the popcorn.
2. To make the sauce, combine the butter, sugar, corn syrup and salt in a large saucepan. (This is important because when you add the baking soda in the next step it may overflow the pan if a large enough one is not used.) Heat and stir, over medium heat, until boiling. Boil without stirring for 5 minutes.
3. Stir in vanilla and baking soda. Immediately pour this mixture over the popcorn. Mix well to coat all pieces.
4. Spread on 2 ungreased baking sheets. Jelly roll pans are good. You need pans with raised edges so that you don’t lose the caramel corn when you stir it.
5. Bake at 250°F for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
6. Cool thoroughly. Break apart and store in plastic bags or containers.
Makes 8 quarts.