Marie’s Pastry and Apple Pie Filling
(Helen) Let’s talk about pastry! From my experience with my three daughters and the women who have worked with me at the lodges, pastry is one of the most intimidating challenges they face. Marie and I don’t use the same recipes for our pastry. Hers is slightly saltier and mine is slightly sweeter. They are both non-fail and they bring rave reviews whether we use them for our main course pies or desserts. We have shared these recipes with sisters, children and friends and they all have moved from the “I can’t make pastry” class to “Hey, this is easy!”
These make enough for 3, 2-crust pies. If you don’t need it all, just roll the dough into 1-crust-sized balls, store them in a freezer bag and either refrigerate or freeze. Bring the dough to room temperature before rolling out.
- 5 ½ cups Flour 1.375 L
- 2 tsp. Salt 10ml
- 1 lbs. Lard 500g
- 1 Egg
- 2 tbsp. Vinegar 30ml
- Cold water
- Mix together the flour and salt.
- Cut in the lard with a pastry blender until the moisture is crumbly and the lard is distributed like little peas throughout the flour.
- Break the egg into a measuring cup; beat with a fork and add the vinegar. Beat again and add water ot the 1-cup (250ml) mark. Pour the water mixture around the edge of the flour mixture while stirring with a fork. Be sure to moisten all the flour. Divide the dough into 6 equal balls. (1 ball equals 1 pie crust)
- Sprinkle a board of counter top liberally with flour and roll out dough with a floured rolling pin, adding more flour if necessary. Place the dough in a pie plate, add filling and cover with the top crust. Cut vents to allow the steam to escape.
Makes pastry for 3 double-crust pies or 6 single-crust pies.
NOTE: Never throw away leftover pastry! Make Cinnamon Pastry Rolls. Roll out any amount of pastry in a rectangular shape. Spread with butter, sprinkle liberally with brown sugar and cinnamon. Roll up, starting from a long side. Cut into 1”(2-3cm) slides and put on an ungreased baking pan. Bake at 450*F (230*C) for 10 minutes, or until slightly browned.
Apple Pie Filling
- 7 cups Sliced, pared apples 1.75 L
- 1 cup Sugar 250 ml
- 2 tsp. Cinnamon 10ml
- 1 tbsp. Butter 15ml
Combine first 3 ingredients and spread in a prepared, unbaked, pastry shell. Dot with butter. Cover with top crust and cut vents. Bake at 450*F (230*C) for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350*F (180*C) for 50-55 minutes longer.
From Blueberries & Polar Bears, Page 185, Desserts