Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeno Snow Goose
We server this appetizer at all our lodges, and any dinners we cater. You can make these a day ahead. Keep them covered and in the refrigerator until ready to cook. This recipe should make 12 wraps.
- 6 strips bacon
- 6 tsp. cream cheese
- 1 average sized snow goose breast
- pickled sliced jalapeno peppers
- Cut the bacon strips in half, so you have 12 pieces of bacon.
- Clean the goose breast of any silver skin or fat.
- Slice the breast across the grain into strips about ¼ inch by 1 ½ inches. You should have about 12 pieces.
- Lay four of the bacon strips down on a cutting board. Place one slice of goose across each strip of bacon.
- On top of the goose place one heaping teaspoon of cream cheese. On top of the cream cheese place one (or two, if you like it a bit hotter) pickled jalapeno slices.
- Roll the bacon around the goose, cream cheese and jalapeno. Skewer with a tooth pick to hold together.
- Repeat with remaining 8 slices of bacon and goose breast.
- Heat barbeque grill on high. When grill is hot, place wraps on grill.
- Cook about 5 minutes on each side and until the bacon is done the way you like it, but do not cook too long as the goose will become tough.
- Remove from grill and serve.
Note: When the bacon begins to cook it will drip grease and can cause flair ups on the grill. Be careful to watch.
Variations: We have also brushed these with apricot jam, marmalade jam, and even Dijon mustard while cooking. These can be made with any type of water fowl – snow goose, duck, pheasant etc. You can also use any type of tender red meat.
Cooking Tip:Soak the toothpicks in water for a few hours before preparing these. This helps prevent them from burning on the grill.
To learn more about Webber’s Lodges Award-Winning wild game cookbooks please visit: