When Marie babysat Leaha as a little girl in Churchill, she didn’t expect to be collecting recipes from her many years later. We are truly blessed by all the people who are willing to share their favorites and here is one of Leaha’s.
- 4 cups finely ground vanilla wafers 1L
- 1 cup finely ground pecans 250 ml
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar 375 ml
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder 75 ml
- pinch salt
- 3/4 cup melted butter 175 ml
- 3/4 cup white rum 175 ml
- 1/4 cup almond paste 60 ml
- 1/2 cup sour cream 125 ml
- pinch salt pinch
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted* 250 ml
- chocolate shot, optional
1. Finely grind vanilla wafers and pecans in a food processor.
2. Combine the wafers and pecans with icing sugar, cocoa and salt in a large bowl. Stir in the melted butter and rum.
3. Puree the almond paste in a food processor. Add the sour cream and salt. Mix well and add the melted chocolate chips. Mix well.
4. Add the sour cream mixture to the vanilla wafer mixture in a large bowl. Stir until well mixed. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours or overnight, until fairly firm
5. Form into balls and roll in chocolate shot if you wish. Place on waxed paper-lined trays to harden overnight.
6. Put rum balls in tins and allow to mature for 2 weeks. Freeze if you are going to keep them more than 4 weeks.
Makes about 50 rum balls.
VARIATION: Rum balls may be dipped in melted chocolate rather than rolled in chocolate shot.
* Use low heat on stove top or microwave for 2 minutes on medium, then stir until melted.