Wild Meatball Taste Teasers
Helen’s daughter, Shari, is a natural cook (which she comes by naturally), who naturally loves to experiment. This is her invention and it is delectable – naturally!
- 2 lbs. ground caribou (moose, deer or elk) 1 kg
- 3 tbsp. soy sauce 45 mL
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar 15 mL
- 10 oz. can water chestnuts, finely chopped 284 mL
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion 125 ml
- 1 tsp. dried parsley flakes or 1 tbsp. (15 mL) chopped fresh parsley 5 ml
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or 1/2 tsp. (2 ml) garlic powder 2 ml
1. Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.
2 . Shape into bite-sized balls (approximately 4 dozen).
3. Place meatballs on a greased baking sheet with sides and bake in a 375°F (190°C) oven for 15 minutes.
Makes about 4 dozen meatballs.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Serve hot with fruit sauce or sauce of your choice. Center fruit sauce on a glass plate and surround with meatballs. Provide picks. Now enjoy!
Note: If you make these ahead, just reheat them in the oven at 400°F (200°C) for 5 minutes.
This is the second in our series of Arctic Appetizers. We’ll post one a week so make sure to check back regularly. Why? Because we serve these at our lodges and they are really, really good!
Please let us know if you try them. We would love to know what you think.
— Jeanne Reimer